Peanut Butter Divinity
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- In a 9-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Bring to a boil
and cook until it reaches the hard-ball stage (260 degrees F on a candy thermometer),
stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. After that point stir frequently
and test by dropping a bit from your spoon into a cup of cold water. When the
syrup forms a hard ball after submersion in the cold (but not ice) water, it
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gradually pour the cooked syrup onto egg whites, beating continuously at
high speed with an electric mixer.
- Add peanut butter and beat until candy holds its shape, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Test candy by spooning a small amount onto waxed paper. Mixture should mound
rather than flatten out.
- When candy is ready, quickly drop from a teaspoon onto wax paper.