- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 or 3 drops red food coloring
- 1/3 cup finely crushed peppermint stick candy
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with wax paper. Butter paper and
sides of pan well.
- In heavy medium-size saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Then cook, without
stirring, until temperature reaches 260 degrees F (hard ball stage).
- Just before that temperature has been reached, beat egg whites with mixer
- Slowly pour in hot syrup in a thin stream, beating constantly.
- Add vanilla extract and continue beating until mixture just begins to hold
its shape when dropped from a spoon onto wax paper.
- Pour half of mixture into prepared pan.
- Quickly stir peppermint extract, food coloring and crushed candy by hand
into remaining candy. Do not over-mix or candy will get stiff and crumbly. Spoon
tinted candy as evenly as possible into pan on top of white candy.
- Let stand at room temperature until set and cooled, then cover and chill.
- To serve, loosen candy from sides of pan and invert. Remove wax paper and
slice thinly. Cut slices in halves or thirds, as desired.