Roasted Peanut Divinity
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan; cook over low
heat, stirring gently, until sugar dissolves. Wash down crystallized sugar on
sides of pan with a wet pastry brush a few times, as necessary.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium
heat, without stirring, to hard ball stage (260 degrees F). Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Pour hot sugar mixture in a very thin stream over egg whites while beating
constantly at high speed of an electric hand-held mixer.
- Add vanilla extract and continue beating just until mixture holds its shape,
about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter chips and chopped roasted peanuts.
- By rounded teaspoonsful onto wax paper.
- Let cool.
Makes about 5 to 6 dozen candies.