Salted Caramel Fudge
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Line 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper and grease well.
- Combine all ingredients, except the salt and nuts, in a heavy-based saucepan and keep stirring over a medium heat until the mixture is happily bubbling.
- It’s very important to keep the fudge moving all the time, especially around the edges, otherwise you risk burning the sugar.
- Keep stirring the fudge until it has turned a golden brown colour, around 15 to 20 inutes.
- To test it, pick up a small teaspoon of fudge and drop a small amount of fudge in a glass of cold water. If the fudge forms a firm ball, then it’s cooked enough.
- Remove fudge from heat, add 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt and nuts and beat with wooden spoon for around 10 minutes, until the fudge is thick and lightly grainy.
- Pour fudge into baking pan and smooth into the corners.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon salt over the fudge and press in gently with your fingers.
- Cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Cut into bite-size pieces when firm.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Yield: about 80 pieces