- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Place first 5 ingredients in large cold cast iron skillet. Let come to a
full rolling boil and cook to 236 degrees F, stirring constantly with a wooden
- Set aside to cool to lukewarm (110 degrees F) without stirring.
- Add butter and vanilla extract. Beat with mixer for 8 minutes on low speed.
- Add nuts, if desired.
- Pour into buttered dish or pan and score.
- When cool, cut into squares.
Yield: about 1 1/4 pounds