Casa Ole Chili con Queso
- 5 pounds American cheese, grated
- 3 1/4 cups (26 ounces) water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (see note)
- 1 cup each chopped celery and green
bell pepper (see note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno (see note)
- Combine cheese and 3 cups water in the top of a double boiler and bring to a
boil. Stir every 5 minutes.
- While cheese is melting, combine onion, celery, bell
pepper and jalapeno in saucepan and add 1/4 cup water. Sauté over medium heat until
vegetables come to a light boil.
- When cheese has melted and is smooth, add vegetables and mix thoroughly. Simmer
for 5 minutes.
This makes a large amount; recipe could be cut in half or thirds.
Note: Amounts are approximate. The file recipe calls for 13 ounces chopped onion,
9 ounces chopped celery, 10 ounces chopped bell pepper and 1 3/4 ounces chopped
Source: Casa Ole, Houston, Texas - Another oft-requested recipe from Chronicle
files. This is adapted from the smallest batch Case Ole makes, which calls for 45
pounds of cheese.