Casarita's Tortilla Soup
I love tortilla soup and have tried my share of various recipes. This, in all
honesty, is, by far, the best!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 to 2 chicken
breasts (1 large is enough), sliced thinly or cubed small
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly
fine ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chicken base
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise
and thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large
carrot, thinly sliced into coins
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- Optional garnish:
chopped cilantro, shredded Cheddar or jack cheese, sour cream,
avocado slices and fried tortilla strips
- In a large pot heat the oil and add the onion and chicken. Sauté for several
minutes until onions and chicken are starting to brown. Add the garlic, cumin, black
and white peppers. Sauté the spices for a couple of minutes then add tomato sauce.
Add water and chicken base and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about
20 minutes. Add squash, zucchini, tomato and carrots. Simmer briefly until vegetables
are just tender. Serve hot with garnish of your choice.
- My Notes: You can use bagged tortilla chips crunched up, however, the best is
homemade fried tortilla strips. In a heavy frying pan (cast iron works great) heat
about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil or lard to at least 350 degrees F.
- Stack several corn tortillas and cut them in half. Stack the halves again and
then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. Place enough strips in pan to cover bottom
and deep fry until lightly browned. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels.
Salt to taste...great garnish!
Also, if you want to kick up the flavor of the cumin, toast 1 tablespoon cumin
seed in a small dry pan over medium heat for several minutes, then grind and add
as fresh ground toasted cumin.
I halved this recipe and it came out great, enjoy!
Posted by gincart at recipegoldmine.com.
Source: Adapted from San Antonio Express News