Cowboy Ciao Restaurant
Stetson Chopped Salad
- 1/2 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous, cooked
- 1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup super-sweet dried corn
- 1/2 cup arugula, chopped
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, diced
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, crumble **
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas**
- 1/4 cup dried black currants**
- Pesto Dressing
** Combine these ingredients beforehand and use as one row. All are available
at Trader Joe's.
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup aioli
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Salad: In a shallow bowl, assemble the ingredients in rows. Start with tomatoes or arugula
at one end; push previous row back with one hand as you place and line up the next
ingredient with the other hand. After presenting salad, pour dressing over and toss
to mix well. Notes: If pearl couscous is unavailable, substitute a tiny pasta like
ditalini or acini di pepe. Pepitas are sometimes called Mexican pumpkin seeds. Sweet
dried corn is usually available at natural food markets or in the produce section
of some major grocery stores.
- Pesto Dressing: Add first three ingredients to food processor and blend thoroughly. With motor
running, pour in buttermilk.
- Add remaining ingredients to combine. If using prepared
pesto, taste before adding additional salt.
- Store in refrigerator.
If you cannot find commercially prepared aioli and don't want to make
your own, you can substitute mayonnaise, or use 1 cup olive oil, drizzled in very
slowly with motor running so the mixture emulsifies. It should thicken further with
Source: Chef Marianne Belardi - Cowboy Ciao Restaurant, Phoenix, Arizona - azfamily.com