Granny Annie's Deep-Fried Scones
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups, or more, all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Butter, honey or jam, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Let the mixture sit
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, salt, eggs, milk, oil and an additional 2 cups water.
- Slowly add in enough flour to make a soft, not sticky dough.
- Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a large, deep pan or deep fryer, heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375
degrees F. (The oil should be deep enough so the dough will float.)
- Pull off a chunk of dough and stretch it into a flat disc about 8 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch
thick. Place dough in hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn
and cook on second side until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Serve scones with butter, honey or jam.
Source: Granny Annie's Family Restaurant, Kaysville, Utah
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.