Sylvia's Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces grated Cheddar
cheese (about 2 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender but not mushy,
about 8 minutes.
- Drain well and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in butter, 1
1/4 cups milk, eggs, 1 3/4 cups grated cheese, salt, pepper, sugar and food coloring
(if using). Mix well and transfer to a 1 1/2-quart oval baking dish. Pour the remaining
1/4 cup milk over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake until top crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.
This is served as a side dish at Sylvia's. The recipe is in Sylvia's