Barbara Bush's Mushroom Quiche
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 3/4 teaspoons oregano
- 1 3/4 teaspoons basil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim or whole milk, or half-and-half
- Pre-bake the pie shell until golden brown and then glaze with an egg white and/or
mustard before filling.
- Put pie on top of cookie sheet or baking sheet on lower
1/3 part of oven. This will keep crust from getting soggy.
- Position rack in lower 1/3 of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms, onions,
garlic, and shallots together.
- Stir in seasonings and cook 2 minutes until liquid is evaporated. Let cool 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs with milk or cream and beat well. Stir in mushroom
mixture and pour into pie crust.
- Bake until filling is puffed, set and starting to brown — about 35 to 45 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings