President Reagan's Favorite Homemade Chili
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 pounds coarsely ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 to 6 cups cooked pinto beans
- Using a 1 1/2-gallon heavy pot, melt bacon drippings. When hot, sauté onions
and garlic cloves. Add ground beef and chili powder. Stir until meat is well browned.
- Add red wine (optional). Add salt, beef base, tomatoes, bay leaf and sugar. Simmer
chili meat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Add pinto beans to the meat. Simmer chili con carne for 1 hour, covered over
low heat, stirring gently from time to time. Test for flavor.
Yields 16 servings.
Source: As prepared by White House Executive Chef Henry Haller