Cream of Tartar is the secret ingredient to this fun, non-edible, children's
craft, which calls for ingredients that you probably already have.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1.5 ounce jar) McCormick® Cream of Tartar
- McCormick® Assorted Food Colors & Egg Dye OR McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors & Egg
- Mix flour, salt, water, oil and cream of tartar in medium saucepan.
- Add 20 drops of desired food color. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly
until mixture holds together (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and scrape dough onto wax paper to cool.
- Knead slightly until dough is smooth.
- Store in an airtight container.
Prep: 5 min | Cook: 5 min
May be kept for 2 to 4 weeks.
Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of extract to the mixture to give the play dough a wonderful
scent. Strawberry or cherry extract goes well with red; lemon or banana extract
with yellow; peppermint extract with blue; and mint or lemon extract with green.
Divide recipe in half and make twice for two colors of play dough.
Wear latex gloves to prevent stained hands.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.