Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire
* One pound fresh chestnuts equals about 2 cups roasted and shelled.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Select fresh chestnuts that are heavy, glossy and firm, with smooth shells.
- Using a paring knife, cut a small cross on one side of each shell to allow steam to escape and to make nuts easier to peel.
- Place nuts in a single layer in a heavy oven-proof skillet or roasting pan.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wrap hot chestnuts in a towel and squeeze to crush the shells. Keep nuts wrapped for 5 minutes before removing.
- Shell the chestnuts by removing both the hard outer shell and the thin brown skin inside. Be careful not to burn your fingers.