Chop Suey Loaf
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Juice of 1 orange plus water to make 3/4 cup liquid
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Cream the shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and cream. Add beaten egg and vanilla
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternately with liquid to egg mixture, beginning
and ending with flour mixture. Stir, do not beat.
- Toss fruits and nuts in a little flour so that they do not sink during baking.
Add fruit and nuts. Spoon into a prepared pan and bake for 1 1/4 hours.
- When the loaf has cooled, drizzle your favorite glaze over the top.