Wow! A crazy, colorful and quick bread that the kids will love!
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup
packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup small gumdrop, cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches.
- Beat all ingredients except gumdrops and nuts in large bowl with electric mixer
on low speed 15 seconds. Beat on medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
Stir in gumdrops and nuts. Pour into pan.
- Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about
2 hours, before slicing.
- For best results, wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours before slicing.
Yield: 1 loaf (about 24 slices)
Did You Know...Hold the nuts! Some kids
have serious nut allergies, so check with parents before sharing this gumdrop goodie.
Purchasing: Squeeze those gumdrops in the
store. Look for soft and moist candies for best bread results.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 145 (Calories from Fat 25 ); Total
Fat 3 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 210 mg; Total Carbohydrate
27 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6 %; Iron 4 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fruit
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photograph used with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.