Raspberry-Marzipan Coffee Cake
Layers of almond-flavored marzipan, raspberries and streusel result in a Raspberry Marzipan Coffee Cake that's as fun to look at as it is to eat!
Look for almond paste in the baking section of your grocery store.
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firm butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 package (7- or 8-ounce size) almond paste, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) raspberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch square pan.
- In small bowl, mix 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in firm butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly.
- Stir in almonds.
- In large bowl, beat all coffee cake ingredients except almond paste and raspberries with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Spread half of batter in pan.
- Sprinkle with half each of the almond paste, raspberries and streusel.
- Repeat with remaining batter, almond paste, raspberries and streusel.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 115 ); Total Fat 13 g (Saturated Fat 6 g); Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 250 mg; Total Carbohydrate 43 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 5 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6 %; Vitamin C 2 %; Calcium 10 %; Iron 8 %
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: