Bacardi Rum Holiday Celebration Cake
Bacardi Rum Holiday Celebration Cake can be baked and soaked several days in advance; store it wrapped
in plastic wrap.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Bacardi Gold rum, flavored rum, or other spirit
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans (divided use)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Cake: Combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Add butter and mix on low speed until butter is worked in completely; the mixture will have a sandy appearance.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, rum, and eggs. Whisk to blend. With mixer on low,
add milk mixture to dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in 11/2 cups pecans. Pour batter evenly into pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until top of cake springs back when touched.
- While the cake is baking, make Rum Glaze.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pan.
- Invert the cake onto a rack with a large plate underneath. With a wooden skewer
or toothpick, pierce cake all over, spacing marks about 1 inch apart. Spoon reserved rum syrup over cake to soak in. Transfer cake to a clean plate and pour thickened glaze over top. Immediately sprinkle with reserved pecans.
- Rum Glaze: In a saucepan, combine granulated sugar
and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add rum, then turn off heat. Add butter and stir until melted. Pour 3/4 cup of syrup into a separate container for moistening the cake.
- To the syrup in the pan, add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and whisk until blended. Add 1 more cup confectioners' sugar and whisk until smooth. Add up
to 1 more cup confectioners' sugar, as needed to make a thick, pourable glaze.
- Glaze and decorate the cake the day it will be served.
Yield: 16 servings
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 11/15/2001 10:17 pm.