Buche de Noel
Make this Yule log cake a family tradition during the holidays. It is a bit involved,
but the rave reviews will be worth it!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or crystals
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2
teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pistachio nuts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan with foil or waxed paper;
grease with shortening or cooking spray.
- In small bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or
until very thick and lemon colored. Pour eggs into large bowl; gradually beat in
1 cup granulated sugar.
- Beat in 1/3 cup water and the vanilla extract on low speed.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan, spreading batter to corners.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto towel generously sprinkled
with powdered sugar. Carefully remove foil. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary.
While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end.
- Cool on cooling rack at least 30 minutes.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat all filling ingredients on high speed until stiff.
Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread filling over cake. Roll up cake.
- In medium bowl, beat cocoa and butter on low speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in powdered sugar until mixed. Beat in vanilla and enough of the hot water
until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- For tree stump, cut off a 2-inch diagonal slice from one end of cake. Attach
stump to one long side using 1 tablespoon frosting. Frost cake with remaining frosting.
With tines of fork, make strokes in frosting to look like tree bark. Garnish with
Yield: 10 servings
The chopped pistachio nuts give your cake "log" a natural moss-covered appearance.
Other edible natural-looking adornments include chocolate leaves, meringue mushrooms,
mint gumdrop leaves and red cinnamon candies.
Substitution: Rise to the occasion! If using
self-rising flour, there is no need to add baking powder and salt.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 170); Total
Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 105mg; Sodium 180mg; Total
Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 47g); Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 3 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photograph used with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.