- 2 (8 ounce cans almond paste (1 3/4 packed cups), grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- Position racks in the top third and center of the oven and preheat oven to 325
degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine almond paste and granulated sugar
in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric
mixer fitted with the paddle blade. On low speed, mix until mixture resembles coarse
crumbs, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar and mix until well-combined, about 1 minute.
- Add egg whites, vanilla extract and salt. Increase speed to medium and mix just
until combined (dough will be wet and sticky).
- Mix in a generous 1/3 cup of pistachios.
- Place remaining pistachios in a small bowl.
- Using a level tablespoon for each, roll dough into balls. Dip each ball into
reserved pistachios to coat one side.
- Arrange cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheets with pistachio sides up, pressing
cookies slightly so they adhere to the paper.
- Bake until tops of macaroons are evenly colored and bottoms are smooth and golden
brown (use a metal spatula to remove a test cookie from the sheet), 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool macaroons on the sheets.
- Gently pull macaroons off parchment paper.
Yield: about 30 cookies
Macaroons can be stored up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.