- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar
in bowl of electric mixer at medium speed.
- Stir in flour to form thick dough.
- Pat mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake until light brown around edges, 12 - 15 minutes; set aside.
- Mix brown sugar and egg yolks in same bowl of electric mixer at low speed. Mix
in nuts and coconut; set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in clean bowl of electric mixer until thick and frothy but
not stiff, about 4 minutes.
- Gently fold whites into nut mixture. Spread over baked layer.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes.
- Cool pan completely on wire rack, about 45 minutes.
- Cut into 1 x 1-inch squares. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.