In just one holiday cheery blink, these cookies can disappear. Double the recipe
for the hungry holidays.
- 1 3/4 cups Wheaties cereal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon
plus 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Gold Medal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- About 36 candied or
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Crush cereal; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix sugar, shortening, milk, vanilla extract and egg.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by teaspoonsful into crushed cereal; roll gently until completely
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press cherry into
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Yield: about 3 dozen cookies
Do-Ahead: Cookie dough can be covered and
refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking. If it's too firm, let stand at room
temperature 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 25); Total
Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 50mg; Total Carbohydrate
10g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars ncg); Protein 1g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photograph used with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.