Made with both sweetened and unsweetened coconut these Coconut Macaroons are just the right amount of sweet.
Unsweetened coconut can be found in either the baking aisle or the organic foods section of the grocery store. Macaroons freeze well. Place in airtight storage containers and store up to four weeks in the freezer.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) bag sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 1/3 cups lightly packed)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 1 large or 2 small cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract.
- In large bowl, combine sweetened coconut and 1 cup of the unsweetened coconut. Pour sugar mixture over coconut; beat with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed. Add cream cheese and egg whites; beat on low speed until blended.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut in shallow bowl. With moistened hands, firmly shape rounded tablespoonsful of coconut mixture into balls; roll in unsweetened coconut to coat. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Prep Time: 20 min | Servings: 24
Nutrition Information 1 Cookie Calories150 ( Calories from Fat90), Total Fat10g (Saturated Fat9g, Trans Fat0g ), Cholesterol0mg Sodium60mg Total Carbohydrate14g (Dietary Fiber1g Sugars12g ), Protein1g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A0%; Vitamin C0%; Calcium0%; Iron2%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: