Cranberry-Pecan Pinwheel Cookies
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup (50 g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups (405 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel (optional)
- Filling: In a food processor combine the cranberries, pecans and dark brown sugar.
Whiz until finely chopped but not a paste! Set filling aside. (This can also be
done by hand, simply finely chop both the cranberries and the pecans and stir together
with the brown sugar.)
- Cookie Dough: In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer
on medium speed for 30 seconds until fluffy.
- Add the granulated sugar, baking powder and salt and beat until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs (and the orange peel, if using) and beat until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer, then fold in the remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough in half, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour or until easy to handle.
- Between sheets of wax paper (I ended up pulling off the waxed paper and working on a floured surface, but you do what's easiest for you), roll each half of dough into a 10 inch (25 cm) square. Spread half of the cranberry-pecan- brown sugar filling evenly over the first square of dough leaving about a 1/2 inch margin free at the top. Roll up the dough jelly-roll style. Moisten the bare edge, press and pinch to seal.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut each roll into 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) slices. Place slices on ungreased cookie sheets spacing them 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake for 10 tp 12 minutes or until edges are firm, cookies are golden and the bottoms of the cookies are light brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow the cookies to rest for 1 minute before transferring them to wire cooling racks. Allow to cool.