Dark Chocolate Candy Cane Crackles
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces candy canes or hard peppermint candies, finely crushed
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate*, chopped into chip-size bits
* For best chocolate flavor, look for good-quality dark or bittersweet (not unsweetened)
chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or lightly butter sheet.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine butter and sugars in a medium bowl, cream together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of bowl, add egg and vanilla; beat to combine.
- With mixer on low, spoon in dry ingredients; mix to combine.
- Add crushed candy and chocolate bits; mix until evenly incorporated.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and immediately use a metal spatula to neaten any edges where a piece of candy may have melted out. Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on sheet.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Yield: 4 dozen
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin