- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract.
- Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the nutmeg and remaining sugar.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Prep Time: 20 min | Bake Time: 15 min | Yield: 6 1/2 dozen
1 cookie equals 57 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 34 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein
Source: Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003