Holiday Surprise Sugar Cookies
Easy cookie mix jump-starts holiday cookie baking. Surprise family and friends
with these sweet treasures.
- 1 (17.5 ounce) pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- Red and green food colors
- 16 thin rectangular crème de menthe candies, cut into thirds
- Assorted Betty Crocker® colored sprinkles, sugars, decors and decorating gels
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, egg and flour until dough forms.
- Divide dough into thirds. Tint one-third red and one-third green with food colors;
leave one-third plain. Keep dough covered tightly until ready to use.
- On floured surface, roll each third of dough until 1/8 inch thick. For round
cookies, cut with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter; for square cookies, cut into
- 1 1/2-inch
squares using sharp knife. (Dip cutter or knife in flour for easier cutting.)
- On ungreased cookie sheet, place half the cookies 1 inch apart. Place 1 candy
piece on center of each cookie; top with another cookie. Gently press edges together
to seal, using tines of fork. To decorate before baking, sprinkle cookies with colored
sprinkles, sugars or decors as desired.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool for 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Decorate with gels as desired.
Prep Time 1 hr 15 min
Total Time 1 hr 45 min
Expert Tip: Instead of the crème de menthe
candies, use one of the following in each cookie:
Piece of a milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces), separated into small rectangles,
each cut into thirds (larger baking or candy bars will be too thick)
Small round chocolate-covered creamy mint
1/4 teaspoon toffee bits
Recipe and photograph used with permission from