It's very easy to work with this dough. Bake them one day and decorate them the next! I like "outline" decorating because you're not coating the entire cookie with sugary frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 2 yolks
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low, add vanilla and extract. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl.
- With mixer on low add flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and form a disc on plastic wrap with each portion. Wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Working with one disc at a time, roll out on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until just starting to brown on edges.
- Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Cool completely before decorating.