Sugared Almond Sticks
- 2/3 cup unblanched almonds, ground
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 unbeaten egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ground almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar; reserve.
- Combine remaining ground almonds with flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter until particles are fine.
- Add unbeaten egg yolk and almond extract; mix well to form a dough. Divide into
2 portions. Roll each portion with floured hands on a lightly floured surface to
a strip 12 inches long. Place six strips side by side. Brush tops generously with
slightly beaten egg white; sprinkle with reserved almond sugar mixture. Cut across
all six strips at one time to make 1 1/2 inch pieces. Separate cut pieces of each
strip and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes until light golden brown.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies