White Christmas Crinkles
- 1 (4 ounce) white baking bar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon red decorating sugar
- Melt the baking bar in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed
for 30 seconds.
- Add the 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined.
- Beat in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract and melted baking bar until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the 1 tablespoon sugar with the red sugar.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in the sugar mixture.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the bottoms are light brown.
- Cool on racks.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens