- 12 to 14 ladyfingers
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup rum or brandy*
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
* One tablespoon rum or brandy flavoring may be substituted for rum or brandy.
- Split ladyfingers; stand upright around inside of 9-inch springform pan.
- Mix gelatine, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks with 1 cup milk; stir into gelatine mixture.
Place over low heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 6 minutes
or until gelatine dissolves and mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining milk and rum.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
- Beat egg whiles until stiff, but not dry.
- Add remaining sugar gradually; beat until very stiff. Fold in gelatine mixture;
fold in whipped cream.
- Turn into prepared pan; chill for several hours or until firm (may be chilled overnight).
- Release spring; remove side of pan.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, pieces of maraschino cherry and chopped pistachio
nuts, if desired.