Chocolate Cherries Cookies Mix in a Jar
Tips for Packing Mix Jars
- Use dry measuring cups and measure accurately
- Do not assume a pasta sauce or mayonnaise jar is a quart.
- Blend the flour, baking powder, soda and salt with a wire whisk.
- Pack layers tightly in the order they are listed so all the ingredients will fit and won't get mixed up.
- If you want to keep two layers separate, cut a circle of wax paper and lay between.
- If baking cocoa is in the middle, wipe down the inside of the jar with paper towel to prevent streaking.
- Place lid on to pack tightly the last layer.
- Lay fabric ring over lid and screw on the ring portion of the lid.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 wide mouth quart size canning jar per child
- Rings and flat lids
- Colorful print fabric to cut in 6-inch circles
- Dry measuring cups
- Paper, pencils, color markers to make labels
- Tape or yarn to attach labels
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a wide mouth quart jar, layer ingredients in order listed. Press after each layer before adding next ingredient.
- Attach the following recipe on a gift label:
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Yield: 3 dozen
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Empty jar of cookie mix into a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly blend the mix ingredients. Add 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened,
1 large egg, slightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until completely blended—it will be a very stiff mix and may require
Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Shape dough in to balls the size of walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet. Remove to racks to finish cooling.
Recipe Ingredients Dried cherries, enriched wheat flour, chocolate chips, butter, granulated and brown sugars, whole egg, cocoa, baking powder, vanilla extract, and baking soda.
Nutrition Facts: One of 36 cookies (1.1 ounces each) provides approximately: 131 calories, 1 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g total fat (2 g saturated), 6 mg cholesterol, 10 mcg folate, 1 g iron, 72 mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council