Christmas Peppermint Pie
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- 1 quart pink peppermint ice cream
- 1 bottle fudge topping
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar.
Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Sift cocoa evenly over meringue. Carefully fold in cocoa with
flexible spatula. Spread evenly in pie shell, spreading up to the fluted edge.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Meringue will be soft.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Just before serving, fill with ice cream, top with fudge topping
and peppermint candy if desired.