Spirited Eggnog Pie
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatine
- 2 1/2 cups dairy eggnog
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons rum*
- 2 tablespoons brandy**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, (optional)
- 8 walnut halves, toasted, (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups crushed gingersnaps
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gingersnap Crust: Combine gingersnaps, walnuts, melted butter and sugar.
- Press evenly onto bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Filling: Combine brown sugar and gelatine in small heavy saucepan.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup eggnog. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatine is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups eggnog.
- Refrigerate until slightly thickened.
- Beat whipping cream in small chilled mixer bowl until soft peaks form.
- Using same beaters beat rum, brandy and vanilla into eggnog mixture.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into cooled gingersnap crust.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving garnish with whipped cream and walnut halves (optional).
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
American Dairy Association/UDIA, National Cherry Growers and Industries Foundation and Swans Down Cake Flour