Cranberry Checkerboard Salad
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes lemon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat cranberry sauce in saucepan. Strain, reserving cranberries.
- Mix liquid with 3 cups boiling water in bowl.
- Add gelatin; stir until completely dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and salt; mix well.
- Chill until thick.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups thickened gelatin mixture.
- Pour remaining mixture into chilled 13 x 9-inch dish. Chill until firm.
- Add mayonnaise to reserved gelatin. Beat with rotary beater until light and fluffy.
- Fold in cranberries, apple and walnuts.
- Spoon evenly over first layer. Chill until firm.
- Cut into 12 squares; unmold. Arrange squares, inverting half,
checkerboard-fashion, on salad greens on a flat serving dish.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 servings