Country Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 medium-size celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage meat
and cook until browned, stirring frequently to break up sausage.
- With slotted spoon, remove sausage from skillet to large bowl.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage drippings from skillet.
- Add margarine or butter, celery, onion, and red pepper; cook,
stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned.
- Stir in broth, black pepper, and 3/4 cup water; heat to boiling, stirring
to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Add vegetable
mixture, cornbread stuffing mix, pecans, and parsley to sausage; mix well.
- Use to stuff a 12- to 16-pound turkey. Or spoon stuffing into
a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at
325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the stuffing is heated through.