- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (white, crimini, portabella), diced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package unseasoned cornbread stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook bacon in a large, deep skillet until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove all but 1 to 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion and celery; sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes.
- Add sage, salt, pepper; stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add stuffing mix, parsley and celery leaves if using.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and wine.
- Add to stuffing. Drizzle with half of broth; toss.
- Turn into prepared baking pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil. (Or use to stuff a 12 to 15 pound turkey).
DO NOT STUFF IN ADVANCE.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover; let stand 10 minutes.