Sea Salted Coffee Toffee Bars
Bars can be kept up to one week in an airtight container.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or dark rum
- 1 1/2 cups whole pecans*
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon large crystal sea salt
* Hazelnuts, almonds or other mixed nuts may be substituted.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar and salt until light
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring between additions.
- Add instant coffee crystals and blend until well incorporated.
- Pat batter into ungreased 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan in an even layer.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned and center is puffy, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, stir sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons
butter over low heat until butter melts. The mixture will thicken and become
- Stir in vanilla or rum, remove from heat and let sit until bottom layer
is done baking.
- Sprinkle nuts over baked bottom layer and pour hot condensed
milk mixture evenly over nuts using a spatula to spread.
- Return to the oven and bake until top is golden and bubbling, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Immediately sprinkle desired amount of sea salt over bubbling toffee top.
- Cool slightly in pan and cut into bars.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin