- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- Pureed berries (optional sauce)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease bottom of 9-inch square pan or pie plate.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Beat egg whites with 1 tablespoon sugar until they form soft peaks.
- Stir cocoa and 1 cup sugar into melted butter.
- Remove from heat. Cool for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and vanilla extract.
- Add yolks, 1 at a time; beating well after each addition.
- Gradually fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Spoon batter into
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Cool and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing into 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Serve with sauce on the side, if desired.