Viennese Raspberry Squares
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup red raspberry, peach or apricot preserves
- In a medium mixing bowl bring egg whites to room temperature. Set aside.
- For crust, in another medium mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an
electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
- Add about half the flour, then add the sugar and egg yolks. Beat on medium to high
speed until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining flour.
- Press crust mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square baking
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash and dry the beaters.
- For meringue topping, add
cream of tartar to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until stiff
peaks form (tip stands straight).
- Gently fold in the chopped nuts.
- Set meringue topping aside.
- Spread preserves over the top of the hot baked crust.
- Carefully spread meringue topping over the preserves layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes more or until top is golden.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in refrigerator.