Walnut Glazed Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 10 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 12 x 16-inch jellyroll baking
pan, or cover pan with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk together chopped walnuts, flour and salt.
- In medium bowl, cream together butter, vegetable shortening and sugar.
- Beat in egg white and vanilla extract.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Place dough in prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and roll out to fill
- Bake until lightly browned on the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; do not turn off oven.
- Let sugar cookie pan cool 5 minutes; cut into 1 x 2-inch bars.
- Let cool 5 minutes more.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare glaze by melting butter in small saucepan
over low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, bring mixture to a boil and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in walnuts.
- Pour glaze over sugar cookie sheet, spreading to cover well.
- Return sugar cookie sheet to oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes more.
- While still hot, recut cookies.
- Let cool completely in pan.
Yield: 8 dozen bars
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 75 calories; 5 g fat; 2 g saturated