Best Cowboy Baked Beans
These Cowboy Baked Beans are delicious. I highly recommend using the Sweet Baby Ray's Steakhouse barbecue sauce.
Yield: about 10 to 12 servings
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Ranch Style or chili beans
- 3 (11 ounce) cans Campbell’s Pork ‘n Beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 medium Texas 1015 onion, chopped (or other sweet onion)
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Steakhouse barbecue sauce
- Cut the raw bacon into 1-inch pieces. Add to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until about 3/4 done. Set aside.
- Using a colander, drain the juices from the beans. Add to a 12-inch Dutch oven.
- Stir in the chipotle peppers, to taste. Gently stir in the onion, mustard, brown sugar, barbecue sauce and bacon. Adjust taste, if needed. (Stirring gently is to reduce damaging the beans and turning them to “mush.”)
- Cook over coals until the mixture reaches a boil, let simmer a few additional minutes and the mixture thickens just slightly. Serve warm with a slotted spoon.
If cooking in the house, use a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Photo credit: NAME / CC BY
Keywords: cowboy, ranch, baked beans, pork and beans, bacon, barbecue sauce