Cattle Drive Cornbread
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 to 2 finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- Boil a pan of water.
- Mix cornmeal and vegetable oil well in a large bowl. Add just enough of the boiling water to form a dough that could be made into a ball.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the creamed corn. Mix to blend, then add creamed corn.
- Coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil. Heat over medium heat.
- Remove one cup of the cornbread mixture from the bowl, and add it to the skillet.
- Flatten out the cornbread, and cook as you would a pancake.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.