- 4 pounds first cut brisket of beef
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- With a long thin, sharp knife, make slits in the meat and insert the slivers
- Place the meat in a bowl, spread 1 sliced onion and the crushed garlic over
the meat, and pour in the vinegar.
- Marinate for 6 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator,
turning several times.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the bacon fat in a deep, heavy skillet large enough to hold the brisket.
- Remove the brisket from the marinade and discard the onion and vinegar.
Dry with paper towels.
- Brown the meat well on all sides.
- Remove brisket to a platter.
- In the fat remaining in the skillet, sauté the remaining sliced onions until
- Pour in 1/2 cup coffee. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom
of the skillet to loosen the browned bits.
- Spread the onions and liquid from the skillet in a shallow baking dish.
- Place the brisket on the onions.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pour in the remaining coffee and water.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 1/2 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees F and bake for an additional 2 hours
or until meat is very tender.
- Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.
- Skim the fat from the pan liquid.
- Return the meat slices to the pan.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for later use.
Yield: 4 servings