Cowboy Hot Pot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet potato or 2 carrots, chopped
- Scant 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon barbecue spice seasoning
- 4 ounces cheese, diced (smoked if possible)
- 1 pound potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, pepper and sweet potato
or carrots until softened but not browned.
- Transfer to a flameproof casserole.
- Add the green beans, baked beans, corn and their liquid, tomato paste and barbecue spice seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cover the vegetable and cheese mixture with the sliced potato, brush with water,
season with salt and pepper and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top
and the potato is cooked.