- 1 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 8 cups water
- 12 ounces Coca-Cola
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup tomato-based barbecue sauce
- 2 to 3 slices slab bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 fresh serranos or 2 to 3 jalapenos, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more, to taste
- In a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, combine all ingredients except salt. Bring
to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook slowly, stirring up from
the bottom occasionally, for at least 2 hours, adding more water if the beans begin
to seem dry.
- Stir in the salt the last few minutes of cooking. The beans should hold their
shape but be soft and just a little soupy.
- Serve in bowls with a bit of the cooking liquid.