Hard Tack (1880)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Enough water to make a stiff dough
- Mix flour and salt, then add water to a stiff dough. The dough should be pliable,
but not stick to your hands.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with knife into 3-inch squares.
- Using a nail, put 9 holes into each square, for steam venting.
- Put into greased Dutch oven, set on coals, cover, and bake until lightly browned.
Hard biscuits seem to improve with age. These taste better when fried in bacon grease.