Nevada Annie's Cowboy Chili
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno
- 8 pounds beef chuck (coarse)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 tablespoons ground hot chili
- 4 tablespoons ground mild chili
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon liquid pepper
- Garlic and onion salt to taste
- Heat the lard in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, peppers, celery and jalapenos. Cook, stirring until onions are translucent.
- Add the meat to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then
lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir often.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.