Pan de Campo (Panochitas - Cowboy Bread)
This flat bread, which dates back to trail driving days, is traditionally made in a Dutch oven over a a mesquite fire. Dates back to trail driving days.
- 8 cups unbleached flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the vegetable oil to flour mixture.
- Add milk a cup at a time. Dough should be a little sticky.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface.
- Form 4 round rolls. Roll out with a rolling
pin to about 1/2 inch thick and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.