"Piebox" Special Vinegar Pie
"Piebox" is slang for chuck wagon. The range hands called it that with both affection and optimism, hoping there would be a pie in the wagon for their dessert.
- Pastry for 1 crust 9 inch pie, unbaked
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Dash of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Whipped cream to garnish
- Line pie pan with the pastry and freeze while you prepare filling.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Whisk egg yolks just to blend; beat egg white until stiff.
- Fold sugar into whites thoroughly but not overmuch, and stir with wooden spoon into yolks.
- Add sifted dry ingredients with a few strokes, then sour cream.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except whipped cream and fold into filling.
- Spread in pastry-lined pie pan and smooth top.
- Bake in preheated 450 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to 400 degrees F and bake for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for about 15 minutes more, or until set.
- Cool on rack, then garnish border with unsweetened whipped cream.